Light and lemony poppy seed bread-The LooneySpoons Collection by Janet and Greta Podleski
• 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
• ¾ cup granulated sugar
• ½ cup oat bran
• 1 tbsp poppy seeds
• 2 tsp baking powder
• ½ tsp salt
• 1 cup 2% milk
• ¼ cup butter, melted
• 1 egg
• 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
• 2 tsp grated lemon zest
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray an 8×4-inch loaf pan with cooking spray at set aside.
2. In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, oat bran, poppy seeds, baking powder and salt.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, butter, egg, lemon juice and lemon zest. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix just until dry ingredients are moistened. Spread batter in prepared pan. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until loaf is light golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in center of loaf comes out clean.
4. Cool loaf in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove loaf from pan and cool completely on rack. Cover with plastic wrap and store at room temperature or in the fridge.
YEILD: 1 loaf makes 12 slices
Nutrition facts per slice: 158 calories, 5.1g total fat (2.7g saturated fat), 3g protein, 27g carbohydrate, 11g fiber, 29mg cholesterol, 195mg sodium