The Better Burger
From: Crazy for quinoa Ancient food finding modern fans
Quinoa Resolution cookbook, A recipe by Laura Langs
A meatless meat-lover’s burger, this is a full-flavoured burger with the perfect combination of toasted pecans, mushrooms, aged cheddar, herbs and of course, quinoa. These patties hold together well for freezing, making for a quick and easy meal.
• 250 ml (1 cup) water
• 125 ml (½ cup) quinoa
• 15 ml (1 tablespoon) grapeseed oil or vegetable oil
• 250 ml (1 cup) diced onions
• 500 ml (2 cups) finely chopped cremini or white button mushrooms
• 5 ml (1 teaspoon) minced garlic
• 4 ml (¾ teaspoon) dried marjoram
• 1 ml (¼ teaspoon) dried oregano
• 1 large egg
• 150 ml (2/3 cup) shredded, reduced-fat, aged cheddar cheese
• 125 ml (½ cup) toasted pecans, finely chopped
• 75 ml (1/3 cup) quick-cooking rolled oats
• 15 ml (1 tablespoon) sodium-reduced soy sauce or tamari
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C (350 F). Lightly grease a baking sheet or line with parchment.
Combine the water and quinoa in a medium sauce-pan. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let sit, covered, for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside to cool.
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for about 5 minutes or until the onion starts to become soft and transparent. Add the mushrooms, garlic, marjoram and oregano; cook for another 5 minutes or until the mushrooms are tender. Set aside to cool.
In a medium bowl, beat the egg. Add the quinoa, mushroom mixture, cheese, pecans, oats and soy sauce. Scoop 125 ml (½ cup) portions of the mixture onto the baking sheet and shape into 8 or 9 patties 2.5 cm (1 inch) thick, leaving 2.5 cm (1 inch) between them. Bake for 27 to 30 minutes, until slightly browned and crispy. Serve with your favourite garnishes.
Yield: Makes 8 servings.
Tip: These burgers can also be fried in an oiled skillet or grilled on a barbeque baking sheet.
• 150 calories
• 9g fat
• 7g protein
• 13g carbohydrates
• 2g fibre
• 2g sugar
• 25mg cholesterol
• 130mg sodium