Happy Monday Everyone!
I love Kale but have a hard time eating it raw because I find it bitter, until I discovered this recipe. I made this salad for a party and it was a big hit. The seasoned chick peas are a nice addition and the roasted garlic in the dressing is yummy.
Garlicky Kale Salad with Crispy Chickpeas
Prep Time: 7 mins
Cook Time: 23 mins
Total Time: 30 mins
Super flavorful, 30-minute Kale Salad with a creamy roasted tahini dressing and crispy tandoori roasted chickpeas!
Source: Minimalist Baker
Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten Free
Serves: 3 as a main, 6 as a side
10 ounces (6 cups) kale, loosely chopped or torn
1 – 15 ounce can chickpeas, rinsed, drained and thoroughly dried
1.5 Tablespoon olive, avocado or grape seed oil
2.5 – 3 Tablespoons Tandoori Masala Spice blend (see note for DIY blend)
1 head garlic
¼ cup tahini
2 Tablespoons olive oil + more for roasting garlic
2 lemons juiced (1/3 cup)
1 -2 Tablespoons maple syrup (or honey if not vegan)
Pinch each salt & pepper
Hot water to thin
- Peel apart garlic cloves but leave the skin on. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Add drained chickpeas to a mixing bowl and toss with oil and seasoning.
- Add garlic cloves and seasoned chickpeas to a baking sheet. Drizzle garlic with a bit of olive oil or grape seed oil. Bake for 20-23 minutes or until chickpeas are slightly crispy and golden brown and the garlic is fragrant and slightly browned. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Squeeze garlic out of skins / peel away skins and add to a mixing bowl. Add all remaining dressing ingredients and whisk vigorously to combine, smashing the garlic with a whisk. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired, adding more lemon for brightness and maple syrup for sweetness. Set aside.
- Add Kale to a large mixing bowl. Before adding dressing, add 1 tablespoon each lemon juice and olive oil to the kale and massage with hands to soften the texture and lessen bitterness. Then add as much dressing as desired (some may be leftover) and mix with a spoon.
- Top with chickpeas and serve. Best when fresh, through leftovers keep in the fridge for a few days.
Notes: Tandoori Masala Spice Blend can be purchased but you can easily make your own if desired
DIY Tandoori Masala Blend: 3 Tbsp Cumin, 2 Tbsp garlic powder, 2 Tbsp paprika, 3 tsp ginger, 2 tsp coriander, 2 tsp cardamom. Multiply as needed.
Nutritional Information as main dish: (1/3 of recipe) Calories: 494, Fat: 29 g, Carbohydrates: 46 g, Sugar: 5.8 g, Sodium: 80 mg, Fiber: 13 g, Protein: 17 g.
Nutritional Information as side dish: (1/6 recipe) Calories: 247, Fat: 14.5 g, Carbohydrates: 23 g, Sugar: 2.9 g, Sodium: 40 mg, Fiber: 6.5 g, Protein: 8.5 g.
Sherry Morton-Jibb PTS. RYT. FIS. NWL, Certified Pilates Mat & Reformer Instructor Registered Yoga Teacher. She co-owns Balanced Motion Pilates and Yoga Studio in New Liskeard, ON