This stew was really tasty and froze well. I used 1/2 rutabaga and 1/2 carrots and it really added a great flavor.
Author: Kelly – Life Made Sweeter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups chopped carrots
- 3 cups chopped celery
- 1 large zucchini, chopped
- 1 sweet red bell pepper, chopped
- ¼ cup flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 (19 oz.) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup diced cooked chicken breast (I used rotisserie)
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh parsley
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a large pot over medium high heat, add the butter and olive oil. Add in the onion, garlic, carrots, and celery and saute for about 4-5 minutes, until tender and fragrant. Stir in the zucchini and red pepper and cook for another 2 minutes until slightly softened. Sprinkle in the flour to create a roux and cook for another minute. Slowly add 1 cup of the chicken broth while continuously stirring until it starts to thicken and comes together. Then slowly pour in the remaining chicken broth.
- Stir in the Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, beans and entire can of tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Add the chicken and reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 25-30 minutes. I used a cast iron dutch oven and cooked in the oven. When it was finished I mixed 2tbsp of flour with a little water and stirred in to thicken then put back into the oven until thick.
- Stir in the spinach and cider vinegar and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes or until everything is heated through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve hot with fresh parsley and parmesan cheese, if desired.
Nutrition: Calories 253, Fat 5.9g, Carbs 36.1g, Protein 13.6g
PTS. RYT. FIS. HWL (Healthy Eating Weight Loss Coach)
Certified Pilates Mat & Reformer Instructor, Certified Personal Trainer, Registered Yoga Teacher